While the P.B.S.® system allows for diamond materials to be brazed to the substrate, electroplated bonds mechanically entrap diamond particles on the tool. There are several advantages to electroplated technology:
- The ability to manufacture tight-tolerance forms.
- Lower initial cost, compared to vitrified, resin and metal bonded superabrasive wheels.
- Freer cutting, resulting in higher material removal rates, less power required and reduced thermal damage to the workpiece.
- The ability to hold form or profile from first to last cut.
- Elimination of time associated with dressing.
- The ability to strip and replate the core.
AT recommends precision plated products for grinding in creep feed or high speed grinding applications, such as nickel-based superalloys, engineered ceramics, cobalt-based superalloys, ferrous alloys, W C (finishing operations) and tungsten carbide.